Thursday 10 December 2015

Shtum by Jem Lester



Powerful, darkly funny and heart-breaking, Shtum is a story about fathers and sons, autism, and dysfunctional relationships.

Ben Jewell has hit breaking point. His ten-year-old son Jonah has severe autism and Ben and his wife, Emma, are struggling to cope.

When Ben and Emma fake a separation - a strategic decision to further Jonah's case in an upcoming tribunal - Ben and Jonah move in with Georg, Ben's elderly father. In a small house in North London, three generations of men - one who can't talk; two who won't - are thrown together.

A powerful, emotional, but above all enjoyable read, perfect for fans of THE SHOCK OF THE FALL and THE CURIOUS INCIDENT OF THE DOG IN THE NIGHT-TIME.


I would like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to read and understand this book.

I have an Autistic daughter who's been recently diagnosed on ASD. It's opened my eyes to the wonders of my daughter and all her friends. I loved how it shows that Autism can be inherited but years has gone by before anyone has realised.

I found the book really eye opening and thought provoking as you see in the eyes of other parents and the struggles they go through daily. Makes you realise to never judge a person/book by what you 1st see.

No comments:

Post a Comment