Monday 2 March 2015

The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick



An enchanting first novel about love, madness, and Kenny G.
The Silver Linings Playbook is the riotous and poignant story of how one man regains his memory and comes to terms with the magnitude of his wife’s betrayal.
During the years he spends in a neural health facility, Pat Peoples formulates a theory about silver linings: he believes his life is a movie produced by God, his mission is to become physically fit and emotionally supportive, and his happy ending will be the return of his estranged wife, Nikki. When Pat goes to live with his parents, everything seems changed: no one will talk to him about Nikki; his old friends are saddled with families; the Philadelphia Eagles keep losing, making his father moody; and his new therapist seems to be recommending adultery as a form of therapy.
When Pat meets the tragically widowed and clinically depressed Tiffany, she offers to act as a liaison between him and his wife, if only he will give up watching football, agree to perform in this year’s Dance Away Depression competition, and promise not to tell anyone about their “contract.” All the while, Pat keeps searching for his silver lining.
In this brilliantly written debut novel, Matthew Quick takes us inside Pat’s mind, deftly showing us the world from his distorted yet endearing perspective. The result is a touching and funny story that helps us look at both depression and love in a wonderfully refreshing way. 

I have been meaning to read/listen to this for a while. Not sure what I think of it. 

Depression is a illness that is still not spoken about as much as it should. I am not keen on Pat's dad who I think is ignorant about his son's illness. I am not sure what I think of this as I can't fathom what the story is to do with.

I still don't think I know what Pat did for his wife to leave him in the 1st place. Some parts had a smile from me, but not sure I would listen/read this again. Won't be watching the film. Sorry for people who liked the film or the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment